Monday, December 04, 2006

Sandra Faoutas

Woman of Secrets who Shares my Name

You died this morning.
Patient mystery woman of loneliness, love, and hardship
You never knew your birth place
or your birthday
You never laughed with siblings
Your mother died when you were young
Your father disowned you
You spent most of your days in the shadows
mothering, serving, caring.

You used to always ask me what I wanted for breakfast the night before
How frustrated you made me!
You were a planner, a perfectionist.
But I loved your toast grilled in olive oil,
I loved your beautiful smile,
I loved the smell of your blue robe,
and taking long walks on the beach with you.

Your birth name was Sara, just like me.
Did you know that I am like you in many ways?
I too am secretive, mysterious, a contrarian.
Like you, I often live in the shadows.
I too eloped with the man I loved.
A man like your Teddy in many ways.
You smiled at my husband the last time I ever saw you.
We all wondered if he reminded you of your own Mediterranean love.
Who were you woman of secrets, who shares my name?

You died this morning.
Patient mystery woman of loneliness, love, and hardship.
Did God call out to you gently "Sara" or "Sandra"?
Did you recognize your mother, was your real father revealed?
Did Teddy pull up to you in a rowboat and offer you a ride to paradise?

Woman of secrets, who shares my name.
Up in heaven your identity is finally known.
Down on earth, you left us a lifetime of mysteries to explore.
Maybe, just maybe, you didn't want us to forget you.
And we won't.

1 Comments:

Blogger Densmark said...

How beautiful, Sara.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home